Skip to main content

Craig Newmark of Craigslist: From Entrepreneurial Nerd to Philanthropist and Advocate

Reuters/Robert Galbraith

Craig Newmark is best known for founding Craigslist, but he is also a Web pioneer, philanthropist, and advocate. He created Craig Newmark Philanthropies in 2016 to support organizations fighting for trustworthy journalism, voter protection, women in technology, and veterans & military families. 

You describe yourself as a nerd. How would you define that term? 
In my case, for whatever reasons, I was never socialized, growing up without social skills and oblivious to social norms. Today, I'm only simulating social skills that I really don't have.  (This is the original sense of "nerd", which is different these days.)

Why did you start Craigslist? Were you surprised when it turned into a global enterprise and part of the popular culture? Is there anything you wish had happened differently or decisions you wish you could go back and change? 
After I started telling people about local events, people asked for more, and I followed through with my commitment.  I'm very surprised about craigslist’s success, never thought about it way back, and it always seems completely surreal. Change? I could probably better lead by example.

A lot of entrepreneurs focus on maximizing profits, but you consistently told people that your goal was to “do well by doing good.” What does it mean to “do well by doing good”? 
A company can be successful by doing the right thing for people, like treating people like you want to be treated.

You are an active philanthropist and have focused your efforts on trustworthy journalism & the information ecosystem, voter protection, women in technology, and veterans & military families. Why did you pick each of those particular focus areas? 
Commitment to these efforts helps the USA fulfill our aspirations like fairness for all, and helps protect the country against bad actors, foreign and domestic.

What kind of impact have the organizations you support been able to achieve thanks to your help? Are there any examples you’re especially proud of and would like to share? 
Looks like the chances of an honest election are better.

How did you spend your time during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic? 
Pretty much the same as before, but no time at our place in NYC. Mostly spending time with Mrs Newmark, working, reading, working, watching TV, working.

What were you like in high school? What did you think you wanted to be when you grew up? 
In high school, I was still very much a nerd, hoping I'd be a successful quantum physicist or similar. 

Were there any specific experiences growing up that informed your world view and affected what you would go on to do as an adult? 
In Sunday school, learning big lessons from Mr & Mrs Levin, like treat people like you want to be treated. In high school history class, from Mr Shulzki, we learned the role of the Bill of Rights and that a trustworthy press is the immune system of democracy.

If you could travel back in time and talk to your 16-year old self, what advice would you give him? 
Talk to people, openly and frankly.

What advice would you give high schoolers like me, today (especially those of us who also want to “do well by doing good”)? 
Treat people like you want to be treated. Watch out for bad actors who target people of good conscience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Letter to Hillary

Dear Hillary Clinton, My name is Elena, and I am 12 years old. I currently live in California, and am in the seventh grade. I have been a tremendous fan of yours since 2008 when you ran against President Obama in the Primary Election. My parents would gather the family, (then just my Mother, Father and I) and sit in front of a very old antenna TV to watch the Democratic debates and convention. I’d like to think that I, only 4 years old at the time, would speak with them intelligently about the political issues being addressed among the candidates, but it was not so. I barely understood what half your words meant, much less the importance of the event taking place on the screen. It all sounded awfully boring to four year old me, but I didn’t care. I liked to watch. Why? Because I thought you were great. Of course, I didn’t understand how great at the time, but pretty great. Great enough for me to sit at the table and draw detailed pictures of you in your orange pantsuit.

Stress Among High School High-Achievers: Filmmaker Debbie Lum on "Try Harder!"

Everybody in the San Francisco Bay Area knows about Lowell High School. Founded in 1856 and the alma mater of Broadway star Carol Channing, scientist Dian Fossey, and Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, Lowell is among California’s highest-ranked public high schools. Up until 2020, eighth graders seeking admission to this academic magnet school needed near-perfect grades and high scores on either the California-administered standardized test or the Lowell entrance exam. When I was admitted to Lowell as an eighth grader, I was ecstatic. It felt like a major achievement. In the end, however, I chose to attend a very different kind of school. My boarding school is just as selective as Lowell (the acceptance rate is in the single digits) but it has less than 250 students — tiny compared to Lowell, which has nearly 3,000. The demographics are different, too. While my school is predominantly white and wealthy (I’m part of a small cohort of Latino students on scholarship), Lowell is 59% As

Modern Day Abolitionist Nancy O'Malley

Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O’Malley was recently awarded the Modern Day Abolitionist Award from San Francisco Collaborative Against Human Trafficking (SFCAHT). During a recent online video interview, she told me about her involvement in human trafficking, her career, and her advice for young change-makers. How did you first become interested in fighting human trafficking? When I was a young prosecutor in 1996, I was assigned a case that involved a 12-year old girl who had been sexually assaulted and raped by a 50-year-old man.  She started telling me her story and told me she had a 39-year-old boyfriend who took her out on the streets of Oakland and was selling her eight or 10 times in a night. When the police found her, the 50 year old man who had paid to have sex with her had raped her.  That’s when I realized she was talking about trafficking. We didn’t even have a law in California then. That’s how I first learned about it. I started getting a be